This website is all about sexifying your life and your hard-earned money– and I mean that in a real and the most ultimate sexiest way there is. I want to ask you to close your Smokey baby-blues for two minutes and imagine what real sexy means to you. Before you go, try to honestly visualize what gives a person that sexy oomph about them?
3-2-1… close your eyes and come back in two…
Chances are you imagined a hot babe in a red bikini bouncing in slow-motion on a white-sandy beach or a cool dude with steamy eyes speaking in a deep husky voice (Preferably Italian. But I digress). I agree, those are sexy alright, but think how sexy these people would be in their home surroundings with their guard let down – that cool dude in his 30s is living with noisy roommates and that hot babe is in debt, living off her elderly parents.
Still sexy? Don’t think so.
I’m talking about being REAL SEXY.
I know you’re just itching to find out what exactly I mean by sexifying your life. So before I dive into the deep realms of sexiness, I want to tell you a story.
Two Girls Alone over a Cup of Coffee
I was sitting in a trendy coffee shop a few months ago, with Luna, a dear friend of mine, discussing the usual clothes, nails, cosmetics and kids. That took about two minutes. The majority of our conversation revolved around finances. Inflation and interest rates, stocks, what Janet Yellen was up to and those sexy sexy yield curves, made up the bulk of our conversation.
Then we continued talking about our own finances and how our outlook on personal finance has changed over the course of our lives. We are both in our early 40s and we have both changed the way we manage our money. The circumstances for our shift differs (I will be discussing what led me to change mine in upcoming posts), but the bottom line is our money now works for us, instead of us working for it.
That change was a slow process, a challenging one, but it so happens that our outlook was shifting at roughly the same time. The big catapult for this change was having kids and the need to look after them while providing a stable and secure environment.
She Worked Hard for Her Money
Luna and I have been friends since we met at a parents’ meeting when our kids were younger. She was working as a teacher while her husband worked (and still does, in a different company) in a tech company as a computer engineer. She worked long hours, and so did he. They were young parents, trying to make ends meet, working hard for their money.
And then the axe fell in 2008. Luna’s husband got fired, along with him – another 250-people got cut. With the loss of her husband’s income, and although Luna started teaching extra hours at school trying to make up for some of the loss, her income wasn’t enough to keep up with the lifestyle they were accustomed to. The small family quickly got into debt, and started spiralling into loan after loan. Rising tensions took a toll on their relationship along with the feeling of uncertainty.
Luna’s husband was lucky. It only took a year for him to find a job, albeit a lower-paying one. Some of his colleagues haven’t recovered till this day. Two committed suicide.
Luna’s husband was now earning an income and adding to Luna’s, but they realized they were damned if they let this happen again. 2008 was a huge learning curve for them, one that nearly destroyed them as individuals, as a couple, as parents, as a family. They had let fate take its course and fate had let them down. They realized they were the ones that needed to take control, to take action, to be solid whatever the circumstances. The feeling of uncertainty was scary and, turns out, an amazing teacher.
Becoming Solid Sexy
Fast-forward eight years, back to the trendy coffee shop. As Luna and I are wrapping up our conversation and we get up to go back on to our daily lives, Luna turns to me and says “Don’t you just love the feeling of being in control and knowing everything we do? It so sexy!”
That was the moment sexyinvestor.com was born.
Do You Have Sexy Back?
A truly sexy person is someone who has Sexy Back – enough money, that is, to withstand any scenario that comes their way – be it 2008, whatever the Trump administration will bring or the harshest of personal circumstances. I by no means mean rich – or people flaunting money they don’t have (I love the way Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko in their book titled The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy, call big flashy broke wealth-wannabees people who have “big hat, but no cattle”). I mean something that Jim Collins from jlcollinsnh.com calls Fuck-You money.
I prefer to call it Sexy Back.
How to Get That Sexy Back
It takes hard work to become sexy, and get that strong sexy back. It takes diligence, nerves of steel and the one thing that will lead you to success, if you possess it, as it can lead you to failure if you don’t– self-discipline.
No one can become sexy without it, no matter what anyone tells you. Nothing worth holding on to comes easy. Nothing. The same goes for money. Diligence, nerves-of-steel and self-discipline are all an integral part of building enough wealth to withstand anything that comes your way.
6 Traits that will Make You Truly, Truly Sexy and get You that Sexy Back
Look at this list. Do you have what it takes to get sexy back?
- Confidence – the feeling of self-assurance and self-reliance to be able to deal calmly with anything that comes your way. Another word for this is solid’.
- Emotional Security – stems from confidence – your general happiness is not affected by circumstances, challenging as they may be.
- Self-Awareness – conscious knowledge of your strengths and weaknesses and the ability to harness both to your benefit. Another word for this is authentic.
- Setting Realistic Goals – stemming from your emotional security and self-awareness, realizing what your short-term and long-term goals are, is crucial to your success. How will you know if you have succeeded in reaching your goals, if you don’t know what they are?
- The Ability to Learn from Your Mistakes – stemming from your confidence – do you have what it truly takes to admit your mistakes (self-awareness/authenticity) and own them (confidence)? Mistakes will be made along the way in your investment in yourself and getting sexy back, but rather than frown upon them and beating yourself up, view them as learning curves. Mistakes are crucial to your success, so embrace them.
- Having the Courage to Put Yourself and Your Family First – Think honestly about who and what make you happy. This may not be easier done than said. People, jobs and things have an effect on you, good or bad. I have thrown long-term friendships out the window because I came to a slow realization they were having a bad effect on me.
Have the self-awareness and confidence to kick poisonous people, jobs and stuff to the curb if they suck your positive energy. Soul-sucking vipers will pull you away from what really matters in life – you, your family, your goals and your sexy, sexy back.
So, think you have what it takes?
Share with me,